Thread: A Matter of Utmost Importance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Default  
    Are you really suggesting we try the man who has done more for the Church than any of us "for being an agent of Malaut sent to corrupt and undermine the Church."? Siverous brought most of us into the Church he reached out to VVV and Kirdain and Wessex to get the Church started. How could you possibly accuse him of this?

As for consorting with Father Merrin, you may as well throw me into the fire for this one as well. Hell even King Manus has consorted with Father Merrin.

A Auros advenimus et ad Auros redibimus

2. #12 Default  
    I suppose there's no harm in answering those charges anymore, I think Merrin is wise to me now.

As an agent of the King, I did repeatedly attempt to get close to Merrin, and his Order to befriend its membership and undermine the authority of its leader. I've certainly said far worse about His Majesty then what's in that thread.

In one instance, we even managed to convince Merrin that he had an underground network of spies that were working against him to promote Hyperion ideals. He kicked a member out of his clan for saying something along the lines of, "I don't think Hyperion is all that bad." In response, Merrin had him removed under the pretense that he was afraid his Order would be compromised because of the man's brother.

It wasn't until later that I managed to rile the old codger into revealing the real reason he kicked the member. I seem to have a knack for getting under his skin.

You may check the details with His Majesty. I have had my disagreements with the King, but we do agree when it comes to standards for the Church, and Kingdom. The plain and simple truth is that the Hundred aren't meeting those standards. Call it heresy, dereliction of duty, whatever. Something needs to change there.

Now, I have admited, and will continue to admit that I went about it the wrong way to begin with. If there is some punishment I have to face for that, so be it. Now that the Council is involved, it is up to them to resolve this matter.

You are a wise and intelligent man Cynewulf, and an excellent Priest. The Trial by Combat was pure genious. However, allowing things to continue down this path is more damaging to the Church in the long run then simply asking Aethlric to alter his Rule to one the Hundred will agree to obey.

3. #13 Default  
    Cynewulf is offline His Grace, the Most Honorable and Right Reverend the Archbishop of Sol Invictus
    Lord Primate of All Hyperion
    Vassal of King Manus
    Esteemed Guest
    (OOC: As King Manus has said, when roleplay becomes silly and threatens the actual readiness and efficiency of our kingdom's forces in-game, it gets shutdown. Based on the current trend recently established, I would favor the whole Church being deactivated, if the original post is now considered a standard of RP.)

Quote Originally Posted by Honorius Dioctus View Post
    Are you really suggesting we try the man who has done more for the Church than any of us "for being an agent of Malaut sent to corrupt and undermine the Church."? Siverous brought most of us into the Church he reached out to VVV and Kirdain and Wessex to get the Church started. How could you possibly accuse him of this?
    I am proposing exactly that. Nor would I even need to prevail upon the Council, since I am the Archbishop of Sol Invictus and fully capable of administering law and ruling within my jurisdiction. Theodoric didn't need the council to try Mauduin in his diocese, so why you presume that you are even a part of this decision, Lord Honorius?

Suspicions of heretical associations are clearly laid out, and he is a member of my jurisdiction, the Terra Regis, by his own choosing. Don't the duties of your own diocese call you away yet?

As for his contributions, I hardly would suffer a man to fly into the embrace of Malaut with his esteem intact, simply because he once had glimpsed the divine face of Auros. Father Merrin, too, set up the early Church only to have it scoured clean in his wake, when he had passed over into the Shadow.

If a learned father of the Church has begun insanely accusing others and even himself of heresy when any scholar or mere child would understand the absurdity, then we must examine exactly when the his corruption began. That Father Siverous has contributed greatly causes you to admire an open associate of Merrin and a poison-tongued whisperer against the Head of the Church; but for me, it causes alarm at what corruption he might have subtly implanted in the Church structure before being exposed.
    Last edited by Cynewulf; 03-11-2009 at 03:44 PM.

4. #14 Default  
    The original post wasn't RP, and neither has any post since then been.

The Church never focused on heresy before, our definitions are not clearly defined. We have what we can find from the internet, and those definitions seemed to fit.

It is common knowledge that a Knight of the Church swears fealty to a Bishop, or temporal Lord, our standards say that they don't swear fealty to a secular Lord. I'm not sure what else to call it other then heresy.

Archbishop of Sol Invictus and fully capable of administering law and ruling within my jurisdiction.
    But not fully capable of administering, or ruling the Ecumenical Council.

Is it any wonder the Bishops are all against you? You haven't done anything. You don't earn their respect by playing Darkfall with your old Order, and ignoring the administrative tasks which are brought before you. You aren't given their respect when the King declares you the Archbishop...how's that saying go - something about titles?

I've done everything I can to support you. I've given you documents to bring before them so that you can show them your leadership in the council and earn their respect. When they asked me what I thought of you, I told them you were probably the best choice out there. I got the Orders and diocese to think up a gift to give you. I offered to goffer around and gather votes for you on proposed legislation. I gave you the chance to enforce the decisions of the Council against your Order to show them you were their leader, and not a member of the Hundred...I waited a year, year and a half for an absentee Archbishop? Insulting you finally got you involved...amazing how that works.

I think I know how underappreciated my mother feels...I should give her a call.

Face it Cynewulf, you haven't been doing your job...and I don't think forcing the Church to respect you now is going to work out all that well. But I think we're all ready to let bygones be bygones if you're willing to put in the work. We can set new standards, give a realistic definition to heresy, maybe even give you the respect His Majesty thinks you deserve...if you're willing to earn it.

5. #15 Default  
    Cynewulf is offline His Grace, the Most Honorable and Right Reverend the Archbishop of Sol Invictus
    Vassal of King Manus
    Esteemed Guest
    I'm quite sick of this, Siverous. Your demands for "action" in the Church lately have consisted of sending emails to me asking that your brother Brando be excommunicated. Why should I take that seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Siverous
    Despite my agreement with the Bishop of the Republic, the Doge has taken it upon himself to act within his own interests. Ignoring the rights of the Holy See, and the Church, he denies me, an ordained member of the Holy Church, the right to even defend my honor in a public forum.

These are slanderous lies, and I would respond to them if I could. He has blocked my attempts to do so on the Republic forums, and so I would ask your permission to do so in a thread on the Hyperion forums.

If it is your desire that I swollow this slander for the sake of the Kingdom I will. I burn with a desire for righteous vengeance, not only for myself, but for the Church as well. The Doge does not even respect the decisions of his own Bishop. The Clergy from the Republic can not be recognized as anything more then his play things, he assigns them new masters without even consulting the Church, as though it was his right to do so.

This is grounds for excommunication if ever there was one. He even ignores the rights of freedom to the clergy that his own proposed constitution, and the Carta Solis, guarentees. There was no trial, no charges brought against myself, against my transgression against the Republic that warrent taking away my Auros given right to speak publically in the defense of my honor.

Again, I will not speak of it further if you deem neccessary, but so long as the Clergy of the Republic, including his own Bishop, are treated thusly...I can not personally recognize any of them as members of this Church
    Communications like the above formed my opinion, when I said that your behavior recently was aimed to drive a wedge somewhere in Hyperion for some cheap thrills. It is not a principled stand about RP in the Church, or else you would not have been pushing me to start something with a secular lord just a few weeks ago.

You clearly have been itching to start some drama, any drama, and I don't regret ignoring those demands for the Church to pursue Brando. Likewise, with Aethelric as the target, I think very little of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Siverous de'Medici View Post
    The original post wasn't RP, and neither has any post since then been. The Church never focused on heresy before, our definitions are not clearly defined. We have what we can find from the internet, and those definitions seemed to fit.
    It wasn't RP? So then you thought Aethelric was a heretic IRL? "Father Aethelric is a heretic" is clearly stated in there, and apparently it's not RP.

If you don't know what heresy is and you've been roleplaying a founding father of a Church with medieval elements for a year...

It is common knowledge that a Knight of the Church swears fealty to a Bishop, or temporal Lord, our standards say that they don't swear fealty to a secular Lord. I'm not sure what else to call it other then heresy.

• If I kill someone, even though the Decalogue tells me I shall not kill, I do not become a heretic--I become a sinner and a criminal.
    • If I say the Decalogue does not forbid killing, then I become a heretic.

Is this clear? Taking lands and titles from your brother would be a sin of avarice, and as it is against written Church law, also a crime. It's pretty obvious to anyone with any theological understanding.

Is it any wonder the Bishops are all against you? You haven't done anything. You don't earn their respect by playing Darkfall with your old Order, and ignoring the administrative tasks which are brought before you. You aren't given their respect when the King declares you the Archbishop...how's that saying go - something about titles?
    The Bishops all against me? Why? Because as little has happened in a month and a half of my administration as also happened in a month and a half before that, when they were themselves the executive power? The Council did nothing before me, therefore they should love and accept me as one of their fellowship.

My only regret is not finding time to ordain Edric from Waleron. I'm quite sure the rest of the inactivity would have happened regardless.

I've done everything I can to support you. I've given you documents to bring before them so that you can show them your leadership in the council and earn their respect. When they asked me what I thought of you, I told them you were probably the best choice out there. I got the Orders and diocese to think up a gift to give you. I offered to goffer around and gather votes for you on proposed legislation. I gave you the chance to enforce the decisions of the Council against your Order to show them you were their leader, and not a member of the Hundred...I waited a year, year and a half for an absentee Archbishop? Insulting you finally got you involved...amazing how that works.
    Gathering votes? Only Baenor and Honorius voted in the very thread to create your Order afresh as a TR guild. That was not enough for me to decently declare that a quorum had been reached and confirm the vote. You overestimate your abilities and your help, if you cannot muster a critical mass of votes for deciding the status of your own guild.

And of course I'm not about to depose Aethelric. Are you insane? I can no more depose Aethelric without the Hundred rising in protest than I could depose Baenor, the only other clergyman whose followers have enough numbers to matter. And whose numbers, I may add, also do not RP involvement in the Church at all. So is Baenor the Heretic next?

Face it Cynewulf, you haven't been doing your job...and I don't think forcing the Church to respect you now is going to work out all that well. But I think we're all ready to let bygones be bygones if you're willing to put in the work. We can set new standards, give a realistic definition to heresy, maybe even give you the respect His Majesty thinks you deserve...if you're willing to earn it.
    So long as "we" does not actually include you, I say let's go for it.

6. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Siverous de'Medici View Post
    You aren't given their respect when the King declares you the Archbishop...how's that saying go - something about titles?
    "It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles."?

Anyway, it is true to some extent Cynewulf. How long ago was it now that I administered the priesthood test to Eldric and gave you his information that you might begin the ordination process? I've yet to see anything done about that! You still havn't set up your own ceremony in which we were going to present you with gifts and such. In fact, since you become Archbishop, the only thing our Church has done together was meet in vent once, and that had been planned prior to your arrival here!

The only person who has done anything for us in the past couple months is Sivvy. You need to begin filling your role! It's obvious you have the potential to be a great Archbishop, but you seem completely uninterested in the role. :p

7. #17 Default  
    Vassal of King Manus
    Esteemed Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Valens Bellator View Post
    "It is not titles that honor men, but men that honor titles."?

Anyway, it is true to some extent Cynewulf. How long ago was it now that I administered the priesthood test to Eldric and gave you his information that you might begin the ordination process? I've yet to see anything done about that! You still havn't set up your own ceremony in which we were going to present you with gifts and such. In fact, since you become Archbishop, the only thing our Church has done together was meet in vent once, and that had been planned prior to your arrival here!

The only person who has done anything for us in the past couple months is Sivvy. You need to begin filling your role! It's obvious you have the potential to be a great Archbishop, but you seem completely uninterested in the role. :p
    I agree that I have been too neglectful. Particularly I am sorry to have delayed Edric. It has given Siverous ammunition against me now, for sure. When I experienced DFO, I confess that I stopped trying to treat it as a RPG and began to accept it as a conquest PvP game.

8. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynewulf View Post
    I'm quite sick of this, Siverous. Your demands for "action" in the Church lately have consisted of sending emails to me asking that your brother Brando be excommunicated. Why should I take that seriously?
    You shouldn't, I was angry, and reacted poorly. Anything would have been better then complete silence though. That's also not entirely true however...though I suppose that's besides the point.

Communications like the above formed my opinion, when I said that your behavior recently was aimed to drive a wedge somewhere in Hyperion for some cheap thrills. It is not a principled stand about RP in the Church, or else you would not have been pushing me to start something with a secular lord just a few weeks ago.

You clearly have been itching to start some drama, any drama, and I don't regret ignoring those demands for the Church to pursue Brando. Likewise, with Aethelric as the target, I think very little of them.
    I have apologized and do apologize for taking things as far as I did with Aethelric, it was ridiculus. I didn't mean to cause drama, but it clearly deteriated into it...and I was clearly the cause.

It wasn't RP? So then you thought Aethelric was a heretic IRL? "Father Aethelric is a heretic" is clearly stated in there, and apparently it's not RP.

If you don't know what heresy is and you've been roleplaying a founding father of a Church with medieval elements for a year...
    I'm still of the opinion that it is. I'm not sure why it's not. It would be great if you explained it to the Council because they obviously don't understand either.

• If I kill someone, even though the Decalogue tells me I shall not kill, I do not become a heretic--I become a sinner and a criminal.
    • If I say the Decalogue does not forbid killing, then I become a heretic.

Is this clear? Taking lands and titles from your brother would be a sin of avarice, and as it is against written Church law, also a crime. It's pretty obvious to anyone with any theological understanding.
    This is the information the Church needs you to be pumping at them. I clearly didn't know that, do you think anyone else does?

The Bishops all against me? Why? Because as little has happened in a month and a half of my administration as also happened in a month and a half before that, when they were themselves the executive power? The Council did nothing before me, therefore they should love and accept me as one of their fellowship.

My only regret is not finding time to ordain Edric from Waleron. I'm quite sure the rest of the inactivity would have happened regardless.
    That's the point...the inactivity has always been the problem. I thought a leader could push the council into activity. I mean, this might be a circus, but at least the Church is doing something. Hopefully this assertiveness carries on as well.

The Church needs you to be the one who steps it up.

Gathering votes? Only Baenor and Honorius voted in the very thread to create your Order afresh as a TR guild. That was not enough for me to decently declare that a quorum had been reached and confirm the vote. You overestimate your abilities and your help, if you cannot muster a critical mass of votes for deciding the status of your own guild.
    Apparently I do. I thought I had garnered the necessary votes.

And of course I'm not about to depose Aethelric. Are you insane? I can no more depose Aethelric without the Hundred rising in protest than I could depose Baenor, the only other clergyman whose followers have enough numbers to matter. And whose numbers, I may add, also do not RP involvement in the Church at all. So is Baenor the Heretic next?
    Nobody wants to remove Aethelric as the head of the Hundred. We just wanted the Hundred to have a Rule they could, and would actually follow.

So long as "we" does not actually include you, I say let's go for it.
    I understand...I've caused a lot of problems over the past month, and have offered no real value of anything to anyone.

It was not my intention to be such a pain in the ass, I thought I was trying to enforce the standards we had set forth for the Church, and Kingdom. Somehow I thought I was doing the right thing, but looking back on it...I'm not so sure.

Consider me self-exiled. I'm gonna go play DFO with my SoE buddies.