PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of the Holy Warriors of Auros

Siverous de'Medici
07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
(An excerpt from a letter to the Queen.)

TO HER MAJESTY, THE QUEEN MORGAINE, HOLY WARRIOR OF AUROS AND MASTER OF THE WHITE ORDER: SIVEROUS DE'MEDICI, BISHOP OF THE CROWNED REPUBLIC, WISHES THAT HE MIGHT LEND HIS SUPPORT IN THE CONQUEST OF EVIL AND DARKNESS

It is with a deep regret that the writing of this letter has come at such a late hour, Your Majesty. The days which have seen me part company from the White Order grow numerous, and yet I can recall quite vivildy the first time I took up the lance in the name of Auros under your command.

As is already known to you, I have been granted the permission to lead the people who inhabit the lands of my birth down the path of light. However, it is not enough to serve Auros with mere words, and as the White Order has been stretched far too thin by the forces of darkness, it has become neccessary for the spiritual lords of this realm to seek Holy Warriors to serve Auros from within their own flocks; and to form Orders which mimic your own.

Though I am but a humble servant of our Father, hardly worthy of the task of which I have chosen to undertake, it is my hope that together with those who are moved by this letter, we may convince the sons and daughters of Auros to join us in the defense of our Nation, and the spreading of His light and teachings.

And so I go about my task, hoping to enjoy your approval...

A WORD OF EXHORTATION FOR THE WARRIORS OF AUROS

THE HOLY WARRIORS OF AUROS that now inhabit Agon are more numerous as of late, the appearance of which is a response to the culmination of darkness and greed which infests Agon and chokes all that is pure and good. Through these faithful warriors does Auros wipe out the followers of evil, the children of darkness and greed, scattering them by the hands of His mighty ones.

These Holy Warrors of Auros ceaselessly wage a twofold war both against flesh and blood and against a spiritual army of evil. When someone strongly resists a foe in the flesh, relying solely on the strength of the flesh, I would hardly remark it, since this is common enough. And when war is waged by spiritual strength against vices or demons, this, too, is nothing remarkable, praiseworthy as it is, for the world is full of faithful followers of Auros. But when one sees a man powerfully girding himself with both swords and nobly marking his belt, who would not consider it worthy of all wonder? He is truly a fearless warrior and secure on every side, for his mind is protected by the armor of faith just as his body is protected by armor of steel. He is thus doubly armed and need fear neither demons nor mortals. Not that he fears death--no, he desires it. Why should he fear to live or fear to die when for him to live is to serve in the powerful embrace of Auros, and for him to die is to be returned to our Father? Gladly and faithfully he stands for Auros, but he would prefer to be cleansed and to be with Auros, by far the better thing.

Go forth confidently then, you holy warriors, and repel the foes of the light of Auros with a stalwart heart. Know that neither death nor life can separate you from the love of our Father, and in every peril repeat, "Whether we live or whether we die, we are His servants." What a glory to return in victory from such a battle! How blessed to die there as a martyr! Rejoice, brave athlete, if you live and conquer in His name; but glory and exult even more if you die and join your Father. Life indeed is a fruitful thing and victory is glorious, but a holy death is more important than either. If they are blessed who live in service to Auros, how much more are they who die for Him!

To be sure, precious in the eyes of our Father is the death of His children, whether they die in battle or in bed, but death in battle is more precious as it is the more glorious. How secure is life when the conscience is unsullied! How secure, I say, is life when death is anticipated without fear; or rather when it is desired with feeling and embraced with reverence! How holy and secure these holy warriors and how entirely free of the double risk run by those men who fight not for Auros! Whenever you go forth, O worldly warrior, you must fear lest the bodily death of your foe should mean your own spiritual death, or lest perhaps your body and soul together should be slain by him.

Indeed, danger or victory for an Auran depends on the dispositions of his heart and not on the fortunes of war. If he truly fights for Auros, the issue of his fight can never be evil; and likewise the results can never be considered good if the reason were evil and the intentions perverse. If you happen to be killed while you are seeking only to kill another, you die a murderer. If you succeed, and by your will to overcome and to conquer you perchance kill a man, you live a murderer. Now it will not do to be a murderer, living or dead, victorious or vanquished. What an unhappy victory--to have conquered another while yielding to vice, and to indulge in an empty glory at its fall when wrath and pride have gotten the better of you!

ON WORLDLY SOLDIERY

WHAT, THEN IS THE END OR FRUIT of worldly soldiery?

What then, O warrior, is this monstrous error and what this unbearable urge which bids you fight with such pomp and labor, and all to no purpose except death and greed? You cover your horses with silk, and plume your armor with I know not what sort of rags; you paint your shields and your saddles; you adorn your bits and spurs with gold and silver and precious stones, and then in all this glory you rush to your ruin with fearful wrath and fearless folly. Are these the trappings of a warrior or are they not rather the trinkets of a Mirdain? Do you think the swords of your foes will be turned back by your gold, spare your jewels or be unable to pierce your silks?

As you yourselves have often certainly experienced, a warrior especially needs these three things--he must guard his person with strength, shrewdness and care; he must be free in his movements, and he must be quick to draw his sword. Then why do you blind yourselves with effeminate locks and trip yourselves up with long and full tunics, burying your tender, delicate hands in big cumbersome sleeves? Above all, there is that terrible insecurity of conscience, in spite of all your armor, since you have dared to undertake such a dangerous business on such slight and frivolous grounds. What else is the cause of wars and the root of disputes among you, except unreasonable flashes of anger, the thirst for empty glory, or the hankering after some earthly possessions? It certainly is not righteous to kill or to be killed for such causes as these.

ON THE WARRIORS OF AUROS

BUT THE WARRIORS OF AUROS may safely fight the battles of their Father, fearing neither wrong-doing if they smite the enemy, nor danger at their own death; since to inflict death or to die for Auros is no crime, but rather, an abundant claim to glory. In the first case one gains for Auros, and in the second one gains Auros himself. Our Father freely accepts the death of the foe who dwells in darkness, and yet more freely gives Himself for the consolation of His fallen servant.

The warrior of Auros, I say, may strike with confidence and die yet more confidently, for he serves Auros when he strikes, and serves himself when he falls. Neither does he bear the sword in vain, for he is our Father's minister, for the punishment of evildoers and for the praise of the good. If he kills an evildoer, he is not a murderer, but a slayer of darkness. He is rightly considered a defender of Aurans. The Children of Auros glorify in the death of the benighted, because Auros is glorified.

I do not mean to say that the benighted are to be slaughtered when there is any other way to show them the light and teachings of Auros, but only that it now seems that there are some who are beyond salavation, save by the sword.

((Inspired by, and taken from St. Bernard of Clairvaux, In Praise of the New Knighthood.))